September 24 – October 1, 2011 is Banned Books Week! BBW is held every year to remind the public about the problems of censorship by highlighting books that have been challenged or banned in libraries and schools around the country.
Celebrate your right to read this week by reading a banned book!
The Top 10 Challenged Books of last year:
1) And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
2) The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
3) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
4) Crank by Ellen Hopkins
5) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
6) Lush by Natasha Friend
7) What My Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonya Sones
8) Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
9) Revolutionary Voices edited by Amy Sonnie
10) Twilight by Stephenie Meyer